Our English Vision
Igniting a passion for literature and developing writers for the real world.
Our Principles of English Teaching
· Children are writing for real audiences and purposes
· Children are motivated to write and strive to achieve their best through editing and redrafting
· Children present their ideas in a variety of ways and do so with pride
· Children enjoy reading a variety of genres written by a variety of authors
· Children complete varied tasks of achievable but challenging difficulty
Key Stage 1, we follow 'Letters and Sounds' as our Phonics programme and pupils are grouped for these sessions according to need. Phonics is taught daily for 20 minutes, covering all phases within the programme.
What is Letters and Sounds?
Letters and Sounds is a phonics resource which was published by the Department for Education and Skills in 2007. It aims to build children's speaking and listening skills in their own right as well as preparing children for learning to read by developing their phonic knowledge and skills. It sets out a detailed and systematic programme for teaching phonic skills for children starting by the age of five, with the aim of them becoming fluent readers by age seven. There are six overlapping phases.